Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My advice for a new Down Syndrome family


When Saturn cars first came on to the market one of their marketing ideas was to get people to get out of their cars and greet another Saturn owners whereever whenever. Meet strangers and share the joy of being a Saturn owner:)I have a beautiful almost three month Down Syndrome son. I did not know before I gave birth but knew the moment we met eye to eye. Since that day I have been seeking out other DS "owners" at parks, resturants and blogs. It has been a wonderful experience every single encounter. You get information first hand and tried and true. Keeping in mind that every single down syndrome child is different. Overall hearing that it is going to be OK from someone who has a 16 year old or a 2 year old really makes it sink in faster.Hearing Congratulations was shocking the first couple of times. All the information is overwhelming at first. But really Congratulations you have a support team that never ends unlike when you have a "normal" child. And you have a beautiful life to feed nuture and grow with just like any other human being.One tidbit of information I learned from a mother/educator was we have a brain that looks like a file cabinet organized and easily retrievable information. Down Syndrome children have a bucket!It is okay to grieve for a moment but it is more fun to be proud!
July 29, 2009 5:41 PM

11 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, way more fun to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I absoluetly love all that hair how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo and nice to meet you, Thomas! We can't wait to follow your progress. Big hugs from miss lc. we're so excited to welcome another fuzzy one into the club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HeyHeyHey!! Saw your new little dude from dsmama's website! Congrats are most definitly in order! All of us moms (and some dads too!) out here in blogland are thrilled at the arrival of Thomas. He is pure joy and delight and we are so excited for you and your family! Thanks for sharing your new baby with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrat's on your most recent blessing. I look forward to reading more posts and seeing more pictures of this handsome little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrat's on your cute little man! I love the hair! Too cute. Welcome to the "family"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on that sweet new baby! He is so beautiful and such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! We warmly welcome Thomas, he is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the birth of your precious boy (your daughter's a cutie, too). You'll soon learn that the Ds blogging community is warm and caring and full of great information that we can't possibly get in a book. Welcome to the club :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are awesome and he is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This makes me teary. I'm so proud of you, S. He is such a beautiful and perfect gift from God. You are so blessed. And what makes it so especially awesome is that you know it.

    Ahh. It's goodness.

    ReplyDelete