
I used to work in an Assisted Living Facility on the weekends whilst in school.
I am going to say right now it was/is my favorite job of all times. It was like hanging out with 100 of your closest friends and getting a paycheck for it. I was never stress about that job.(Except with a couple of ignorant co-workers but that is another story)
Anyhow the point of this story is several of the residents really tuned into me and were so kind, when I was having a hard time that it still brings tears to my eyes.
One such lady Ms K. passed away this week. She was 90. (Her 94 year old husband whistled "Its an Old Old Path" http://www.restorationbookstore.org/prints/oldoldpath.htm as she passed from this world.) This beautiful woman was something to strive to be. She was a true servant of God. Even when she herself did not feel well she would walk a good distance to the skilled units to visit the sick and inflicted who could not get out of bed, daily. She talked with purpose and blessings. She encouraged with understanding. She spent hours planting and maintaining flowers throughout the facility because she knew plants/flowers are soothing to the soul. She would take sweaters and whatnot that needed hemming right off of fellow residents, and have them back to them by the next meal time. She saw what needed to be done and she did it.
She paid attention to others. She was not about herself at.all.
Now to me, at times I can be oblivious that something is bothering me or that I am wearing my emotions on my sleeve. These residents would so boldly go where no others would tread. They would gather me in their prayers and wisdom to make it all better. Sometimes have me back to normal before I knew something was wrong. (And I would get paid for this, I know, best job ever) Anyhow back to Ms K.
One day most likely around finals but a very stressful time for me nonetheless. Ms K approached me with a bag tied with a simple teal ribbon. I knew what she had and my heart skipped a beat. She handed me the bag with the simple story. When anyone in her family was having a hard time and needed some love this is what was given. It was a symbol in her family of love, togetherness, and most of all "I am thinking of you and I am on your side."
Ms K was thinking of me in the most genuine way like no other had witness to me before. I am not being narcisstic here, I needed someone at that moment to be thinking of me and Ms K so genuinely did without being asked did. It still makes me cry.
So fast forward to yesterday. It was freezing bum cold outside. I had not showered all day. I could not "wake up" to save myself from fire if one broke out. I had planned for days to go to Ms K's visitation. And I just couldn't get it out of my mind, but my body wouldn't budge to get done what it takes to get me out the door. The visitation hours came and I still was not moving. I could see her face, I couldn't stop thinking about who/what she was. I couldn't stop thinking about the gift she had given me. The clock was ticking, I was still stinking and on and on. Finally I called my mother. She said "get moving, you will not regret it". Uuugggggggggggg
I know. So I got into gear (mom is always right). As I was leaving I grabbed the stash of goodies exactly like Ms K had given me that I had bought for several fellow bloggers a week ago and still had not mailed. I arrived at the visitation with my fifteen year old fifteen minutes before the end. The line was still out the door. And we were the caboose. I wanted to leave a message for Ms K that yes she had reached me and I would never forget what she did for me that day. I scanned the room while waiting in line trying to decide where to leave my message. There was a table up front with pictures? No There was a memorial table with candles? No There another table where the bodie usually lies? Possibly but didn't feel right. Anyhow one hour later I get up to the exhausted family line. "Hi I am S I hung out with Ms K instead of working etc this is my son he is one of Mr K's scouts" ( Mr K still comes to scout EVERY week to give the boys lessons) etc. Move to next family etc. The line stopped right in front of two grandchildren who were wearing stickers that said "grandma's favorite grandchild". Which is also a family joke in my family. So here I am making small talk when I feel Ms K tugging at my pocket full of her love. I whipped one out and handed it to each of the grandkids. Let me tell you folks it was PRICELESS. The tear fill eyes paired with the biggest ear to ear smile whilst twirling the goodie in their fingers moment was priceless. Almost instantly they both said "these are very very very special" But they didn't have to tell me, I already knew. The line started to move and I kept handing them out with out any hesitation now. With almost identical responses from everyone recieving one. This was a gift from grams, mom and ms K when you needed it the most.
I know. So I got into gear (mom is always right). As I was leaving I grabbed the stash of goodies exactly like Ms K had given me that I had bought for several fellow bloggers a week ago and still had not mailed. I arrived at the visitation with my fifteen year old fifteen minutes before the end. The line was still out the door. And we were the caboose. I wanted to leave a message for Ms K that yes she had reached me and I would never forget what she did for me that day. I scanned the room while waiting in line trying to decide where to leave my message. There was a table up front with pictures? No There was a memorial table with candles? No There another table where the bodie usually lies? Possibly but didn't feel right. Anyhow one hour later I get up to the exhausted family line. "Hi I am S I hung out with Ms K instead of working etc this is my son he is one of Mr K's scouts" ( Mr K still comes to scout EVERY week to give the boys lessons) etc. Move to next family etc. The line stopped right in front of two grandchildren who were wearing stickers that said "grandma's favorite grandchild". Which is also a family joke in my family. So here I am making small talk when I feel Ms K tugging at my pocket full of her love. I whipped one out and handed it to each of the grandkids. Let me tell you folks it was PRICELESS. The tear fill eyes paired with the biggest ear to ear smile whilst twirling the goodie in their fingers moment was priceless. Almost instantly they both said "these are very very very special" But they didn't have to tell me, I already knew. The line started to move and I kept handing them out with out any hesitation now. With almost identical responses from everyone recieving one. This was a gift from grams, mom and ms K when you needed it the most.
So sorry fellow bloggers you did not get your package yet. I have not forgotten, but be sure to know it will soon be there I am just fresh out.
FYI if you need a package of K love email me your address:) And if you already know what it is please to not tell. Just look for the mailman.
ReplyDeleteAnd you said you couldn't write....this is one of the best I've read. Dang it, you made me cry...
ReplyDeleteHoly moly mama, you are a WRITER!!!
ReplyDeleteI also am a little annoyed because at this present moment, I do not need more fluids spilling down my face. This is beautiful. What a beautiful person. Ms. K and you.
Best story ever.
This is a beautiful post S!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing--thank you so much for sharing. I have never visited here before, but will definitely be back. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteDude!
ReplyDelete:') That was beautiful.
thanks for your K love :)
ReplyDelete